Pages

Monday 28 March 2011

Pangramania

Who would have thought that the dizzy heights of being able to do joined-up writing would cause so much excitement? It's almost like being back at primary school - rushing downstairs every 5 minutes to show anyone who'll stand still for long enough my latest sentence, pointing out the bits I'm particularly proud of (and the bits that went wrong).

As you've probably guessed by now, I've progressed from the slightly mind-numbing exercises linking every conceivable combination of letters together, to practising whole words and sentences :-) This is soooo much more interesting, and also brings to light any inconsistencies between letter forms. It's all very well being able to reproduce the same letter shape again and again, but if it doesn't match other, similar letters then it's all going to look a bit weird. Anyhow, enough of me wittering, here are some pictures:




So, half-way through the morning my practice page looked a bit like this...






 




(with a closer look at the alphabet - all the letters this time, and even in the right order!)




...and after a small amount of tea I had a full page of joined-up-ness :-)








I am really pleased with the progress I've been making, and it's lovely to be able to produce a whole page of relatively consistent looking writing. Of course there are still tons of things to work on - that's never going to change - but working hard at something like this, where consistency is key, really appeals to my inner perfectionist.

The sentences I've been using for practise are pangrams (sentences that use every letter of the alphabet at least once) and they're usually complete nonsense, or at least quite wacky, but they do allow you to work on all your letter forms in a single sentence. My favourite so far is "seven wildly panting fruit flies gazed anxiously at the juicy bouncing kumquat". If you have any favourites let me know and I'll write them out and post them next time.

Brause 361



 Having got a solid grasp of the basics I've started experimenting with different nibs and letter forms. The page above was written with a Brause 361 nib (Higgins Eternal ink) which I got on really well with; it felt quite robust after the EF Principal but held the ink nicely and was quite forgiving, and was definitely less scratchy. I also gave a Gillot 303 a whirl, which was definitely *not* forgiving, but beautifully springy and delicate - one to go back to once I've done a bit more work I think.

 Left is an alternative 'f' that I've been playing with (sorry for the out-of-focus picture) with a slightly more stylish descender than the one I initially learnt. Plenty more variations to play around with, along with some attractive ways of combining double letters and maybe then I'll be ready for the capitals, which looks to be a whole new ball game!



Finally (and I promise I'll be quiet after this), my cherry tree is in flower. AND I've found the macro setting on the camera :-D

5 comments:

  1. Very happy to be reading your blog, because I started Eleanor Winters' book a week ago. I've only gotten to the minuscule b so far, but I just got a pad of vellum to practice on and it made a world of difference. So smooth! I wanted to mention in a kind of anal retentive way that I think she mentioned the non-loop ascenders (like on the d) don't go all the way up to the top line; they only go as far up as the x-height again. But I don't even know if you're following her strictly, so apologies for the criticism. Your letters look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Katie :-) and you're dead right - I did think that the 'd' ascenders were looking a bit spindly and out of proportion. There's so much to remember, I guess I must have made the mistake one day and then kept on copying it on the next sheet. Oops. Thank you for pointing it out :-)

    I hope you're enjoying the Winters book - it's nicely set out isn't it? And having good quality paper/ink/nibs etc. make a heap of difference (as I've found out). Let me know how you're getting on - it's great to have company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made my way into full (miniscule) sentences today--much more interesting than just letters, I agree. It's funny, even smooth Bristol has my nib skipping and spattering a bit. The vellum is still the best. Perhaps I need to experiment more with different nibs. (I have a Hunt and two different Gilliotts, which are pretty good, but I am leaving a lot of ink blobs on the page still.)

    The Winters book is very well organized, yes. Although I do get impatient to move on! But sticking with it anyway, of course.

    Browsing calligrapher website gives me a lot of inspiration, too. Do you have any favorites? I've been looking at these: http://www.luckyorchidweddingblog.com/ and http://afpcalligraphy.wordpress.com/
    (and yours : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops, that was a silly question, you have a list of them right there on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I've just been using a standard Calligraphy practice pad (produced by Manuscript I think) and haven't had any real difficulties with it, but it might be worth playing around with some different nibs - my Gillott ones are the ones I find I have to be most careful with.

    There are also a couple of Calligraphy Forums (one on the Fountain Pen Network and one on WetCanvas) that can be quite useful. Lots of discussions about nibs/paper etc. although sometimes you can get too many answers :-) but worth exploring if you haven't already found them.

    Thanks for sharing those two favourites - I hadn't found either of them!

    ReplyDelete